To use this tool, select the unit to convert "From" and "To" in the input units dropdown list. Below it, enter the value to convert from into the input box. The tool will instantly display your conversion result. Save this tool for quick access into "My Favourite List"
Share on Social Media:
This Pressure Converter or online Calculator is useful especially when converting a pressure measurement in a number of different units. Pressure converter can be an important tool when working with pressure sensors in an electronic circuit, designing mechanical parts, or modeling a physical system.
What is Pressure?
Pressure is defined as the force exerted per unit area. It is a measure of how much force is acting on a given surface area. Pressure can be expressed in different units, such as pounds per square inch (psi), pascals (Pa), bars, atmospheres (atm), and millimeters of mercury (mmHg). Pressure is a scalar quality reflecting how force acts on a surface.
The formula for pressure is:
Pressure = Force / Area i.e., P = F/A
Where P = pressure, F = normal force and A = area. Since pressure is derived from force and area, many units for pressure directly relate force to area. Some are obvious, such as pounds per square inch, but even the SI standard Pascal is actually an expression of one Newton per square meter. For example, if a 100-pound weight is placed on a surface with an area of 10 square inches, the pressure on the surface would be:
Pressure = 100 lbs / 10 sq in = 10 psi
Pressure is a fundamental concept in physics and has many applications in everyday life. It is important in fields such as engineering, mechanics, fluid dynamics, and weather forecasting. Some common examples of pressure include atmospheric pressure, blood pressure, tire pressure, and hydraulic pressure in machinery.
How to use Pressure Converter
- Select the unit to convert from in the input units dropdown list.
- Select the unit to convert to in the output units dropdown list.
- Below it, enter the value to convert from into the input box.
- The tool will instantly display your conversion result.
Units of Pressure
This calculator converts between the following units of pressure:
- Pascal (Pa) = 1 N/m2
- Bar (bar)
- Kilogram per square centimeter (kg/cm2)
- Millimeters of mercury (mm Hg)
- Inches of mercury (in Hg)
- Pound per square inch (lb/in2)
- Pound per square foot (lb/ft2)
- Millimeters of water column at 4 °C (mm H20)
- Inches of water column at 4 °C (mm H20)
- Standard atmosphere (atm)